Book a guided tour here
The tours are available Monday to Friday, 9.00am – 4.00pm.
Weekends by special arrangement.
Tours range from 1-2 hours.
Types of Tours
A General Tour gives an overview of CERES while specialist tours can be designed for specialist audiences.
In a General Tour participants gain an overview of innovative local solutions to energy and water sustainability, food production and distribution and community building. Participants see hands on education in action and encounter successful social enterprises that combine principles of equity and sustainability.
A tour to CERES is of interest to local government representatives, educators, design and engineering groups, students, urban agriculturalists, ecotourism interest groups, gardeners and all those with an interest in a sustainable future. Overseas visitors are presented with a broader cultural awareness of Australia.
Specialist tour topics include:
- General Tour – gives an overview of CERES innovative local solutions to energy and water sustainability, food production and distribution and community building. Participants see hands on education in action and encounter successful social enterprises that combine principles of equity and sustainability.
- ESL – A general site tour with an opportunity to practise English language and sustainability-related vocabulary.
- Sustainable Water Use – Focuses on water technology systems on site including rainwater harvest and use, stormwater harvest, treatment and use, grey-water recycling and waste water treatment, photo-voltaic (PV) water pumping, solar hot water and hydronic heating systems.
- Renewable Energy – Focuses on renewable energy technologies at CERES including solar, wind, biogas, Electric Vehicle innovations and other new technologies.
- Environmentally Sustainable Building – Focuses on the principles of sustainable building design incorporated into buildings and structures on the site.
- Ecotourism – Focuses on how the principles of Ecotourism apply to CERES and includes a discussion of how those principles can be applied elsewhere.
- Environmental Education in the Field – Explores the philosophy, diversity and methodology of CERES Education programs.
- Food Based Tours – Explores a range of topics to do with all things food.
- Community Food Systems – Examine the CERES Organic Farm. Look at the various systems which create and support programs that reduce food miles and link diverse groups of people with education and employment opportunities.
- Organic Food Markets – Take a tour of CERES Organic Market. Gain an insight into food miles and why eating local, organic, seasonal produce has major environmental benefits. Learn about ethical food purchasing principles (Wednesdays and Saturdays only).
- Food Based Social Enterprises – Tour the CERES Organic Farm and discover more about our food based social enterprises; where to start, challenges, rewards and financial sustainability.