These activities have been provided by CERES Education for schools to use in their curriculum. We’d appreciate you acknowledging CERES if you use or share these activities with others.
The Cost of Energy
1. Look at your school’s electricity bill and find out how much 1 kilowatt (kW) costs. Complete this number in the audit table provided.
2. Use the energy meter to measure different appliances in the room by plugging in the meter first and then plugging the appliance into the energy meter.
3. Record your findings in the audit table provided.
4. Use the audit table to work out the cost of each appliance per month.
Click here to download the Cost of Energy audit table.
Dress for the Weather Board Game – Emas4Success
CERES has adapted this board game from Emas4Success.
Dress for the Weather programs help a school reduce its energy usage by reducing heating and cooling. Set up the board game, cards and choose your dice and player counters. Read the Dress for the Weather Board Game Instructions and have a play.
Click here to download the board game instructions written by CERES.
Click here to download the original activity by Emas4Success (board game cards are on pages 5 to 14).
You will need:
* A lux meter
* A thermometer
* A laser thermometer
CERES Education buys its equipment from our partner, Planet Savers.
1. Split into two teams. Decide who is going to be in the ‘Lighting Team’ and the ‘Heating and Cooling Team’.
2. Follow the instructions. Make sure you write down some of your findings to share with the group.
Find out the distance each person travels one way from home to school and their mode of transport. Use the table to record your findings. Calculate the total kms for the group (one way) and the average distance. Now calculate how many kms the group would travel per year (return).
If auditing students, only audit the youngest or oldest in the family so a car doesn’t get counted twice.
Cool Australia’s has written transport audit lesson plans and student worksheets especially for CERES and ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic schools:
- Lower Primary Transport Audit – http://coolaustralia.org/activity/aussi-transport-audit-lower-primary/
- Upper Primary Transport Audit – http://coolaustralia.org/activity/aussi-transport-audit-upper-primary/
- Secondary Transport Audit – http://coolaustralia.org/activity/aussi-transport-audit-secondary/
- Staff Transport Audit (can be done by students) – http://coolaustralia.org/activity/aussi-transport-audit-staff/
You will need to register on Cool Australia’s website. Registration is free.
Yesterday and Today
1. Categorise the electrical appliances.
Spread out the photos of electrical appliances.
Place them into the three categories:
Comfort, Fun and Entertainment, Helpful
2. Match these appliances to the past.
Match the modern-day appliances to those that were used in the past. What other alternatives were there?
Click here to download the activity cards for Yesterday and Today.