Our award-winning Cultural programs invite students to discover traditional and contemporary celebrations, customs and traditions.
Duration of activities: ~ 50 minutes
Available for: Foundation to Year 10
You can mix and match activities from two different programs.
Note: African activities can be included in a multicultural day at CERES with other cultural activities included in the Indonesian, Aboriginal and Indian programs.
- Explore the collective work and responsibilities in an African Village: traditional welcoming, learn about families and work routines and the importance of teamwork and community
- Participate in activities such as mud brick making and hut construction and thatching
Only available for Grade 3 to Year 10 students
- Learn traditional drumming techniques on the djembe while exploring African music
- Perform improvised solos and play a variety of African percussion instruments
- Discover and learn different forms of traditional dances from Africa
- Participate in chanting and group singing. Play games integrating sounds and movement
- Learn about how children work and play in Africa
- Collect water from the local river and have a go at carrying it back, the traditional way, to the village
- Enjoy playing some African children’s games
- Partake in a traditional celebration from Africa
- Discover how to prepare the celebration. Perform a traditional dance