A brand new Biodiversity program for Year 7 – 10 students.
Duration of activities: ~ 50 minutes
Available for: Year 7 to 10
You can mix and match activities from two different programs.
- Participate in Australian Marine Debris Initiative (AMDI), a citizen science project aimed at understanding marine litter in order to stop it at the source
- Students will spend some time collecting litter from the Merri Creek and surveying the types of materials that end up in the creek, data will be entered into an international database
- Students will also investigate other urban impacts on the natural environment, such as invasive plants
- Students will undertake a habitat survey in order to gain an understanding of the environmental value waterways contribute to an urban setting
- Participate in Birdlife Australia’s national citizen science program
- Students will learn about bird identification, take recordings and contribute to a national database
- Through a walk along the Merri Creek, students will also gain an understanding of indigenous flora and the valuable habitat it provides to Australian birds