PLANT A SEED | LIFE CYCLES
In this activity our educators will take your students on a journey to discover the wonderful world of seeds and plant life cycles.
Foundation to Years 3 – guided by an adult.
Years 3 to 6 students – self-guided.
Curriculum links: Science, Design and Technologies, Critical and Creative Thinking, Literacy.
Teacher resource section:
Begin by watching the videos and getting students ready by ensuring they have access to newspaper, soil, seeds and a jar.
Here are two ways to use this resource:
- Add to your own learning system – download the resources and copy/embed YouTube links.
- Send students directly to the activity page for instructional videos and links. Foundation to Year 3 will need to be guided through the steps.
We recommend that students do this online activity in the following sequence:
- Watch: welcome video
- Get ready: get equipment for hands-on activity
- Explore: Go on a hunt for a seed and draw what their seed will grow into
- Discover: Watch suite of videos to learn about plant adaptations, life cycles and prepare for the Kahoot quiz
- Make: Watch Plant a seed instructional video to learn how to make a pot and plant a seed
- Play: Kahoot to test students’ knowledge
- Move: watch ‘Seed Stretch Grow’
- Take it further by downloading additional resources and activities provided
Here is how you might use the Plant a seed online activity to teach the Victorian Curriculum:
|Level||Learning Area||Content Descriptor|
|F-2||Science||Living things have a variety of external features and live in different places where their basic needs, including food, water and shelter, are met.|
|F-2||Science||Participate in guided investigations, including making observations using the senses, to explore and answer questions.|
|F-2||Design and Technologies||Visualise, generate, and communicate design ideas through describing, drawing and modelling|
|F-2||Design and Technologies||Use materials, components, tools, equipment and techniques to produce designed solutions safely.|
|F-2||Critical and Creative Thinking||Identify, describe and use different kinds of question stems to gather information and ideas.|
|F-2||Dance||Use simple technical and expressive skills when presenting dance that communicates ideas to an audience|
|3-4||Science||Different living things have different life cycles and depend on each other and the environment to survive.|
|3-4||Design and Technologies||Select and use materials, components, tools and equipment using safe work practices to produce designed solutions.|
|3-4||Critical and Creative Thinking||Examine an increased range of learning strategies, including visualisation, note-taking, peer instruction and incubation, and reflect on how these can be applied to different tasks to reach a goal|
|5-6||Science||Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment|
|5-6||Design and Technologies||Apply safe procedures when using a variety of materials, components, tools, equipment and techniques to produce designed solutions.|
|5-6||Critical and Creative Thinking||Identify and form links and patterns from multiple information sources to generate non-routine ideas and possibilities.|