Suitable for Primary/Secondary (Levels 4-10)
Timeframe: 90 minutes (minimum)
CERES offers a student assisted waste auditing program suitable for students from Level 4 to 10. The auditing process allows students to identify the amount of waste generated by the school and analyse the composition of its waste streams. Students are supported to assess and report their findings and engage in action planning to improve waste management.
- Tuning in activity for students
- Presentation including key content, images and questions
- Hands-on waste auditing experience using tongs, scales and tarpaulins
- Waste auditing template
- Collaborative action planning template
- Opportunities for extension, support and assessment
Links to the Victorian Curriculum: This task explicitly addresses Science, Mathematics and English learning areas.
Links to ResourceSmart Schools:
The waste audit is a compulsory component of the ResourceSmart Waste Module and clearly addresses Action A1.1. Students’ action plans can be collated and used to inform the school’s waste and litter reduction plan for Action A2.1 and embedded in the School Environment Management Plan for Action A2.2. Opportunities for students to share their findings from the waste audit also address Action C1.1.