Brunswick Nth West Primary school has been involved in many activities while participating in the SSI and has achieved 5 star accreditation. Hannah Reid of Brunswick Nth West says that there have been many benefits of receiving a 5 star rating. They have achieved a broader public awareness of the commitment they share for environmental sustainability. Through their various interactions with the local and wider community, Brunswick North West is now able to use this recognition of their efforts to give others an understanding of what their school community values.
• ‘Switch Off’ days where all electricity use is denied and students and teachers can focus on how much they depend on this finite resource and can consider alternatives.
• They have made significant energy reductions through their various initiatives.
• Worm bins and food composting implemented.
• Vegetable and orchid horticulture.
• Rain water is collected in 2 large capacity water tanks and pumped through to pipes using a pump powered by a wind mill.
• The school charter and values have set the environment as a high priority.
• Student based environment club.
• In the future they hope to construct a new playground with strong environmental themes based on wind, water, sun and energy.