We detected a need for a program that engaged children using hands on activities and found that science was the best tool to help us. Teachers were practising sustainable actions at home and felt it should be passed on to the school community. We began our journey in 2005 by attempting wastewise activities, guided by the Gould League. joining the Planetsavers program In 2006, which included an energy audit and we were on our way. This helped us document our efforts at energy savings and monitor our progress. The Planetsavers Program then became the sustainable schools program and with the support of CERES worked our way through the five modules.
- Make our children environmentally aware of changes they can make to our world and future, by their choices.
- Empower children to make these choices by developing thorough understanding of energy, its use and misuse.
- Initiate recycling, reusing and reducing program at school
- Have children that monitor environmentally friendly practices.
- Develop a variety of habitats to encourage native species to return.
with our children by running our gardening club on Thursday lunchtimes. Working with Cardinia Shire After School Care we have had a water tank installed for use with our vegetable and herb garden. Children have opportunity to see how food is grown, and taste healthy food.