St Anne’s Primary School is the junior campus of Gippsland Grammar located in Sale. We have approximately 240 students and an Early Learning Centre. In 2011 St Anne’s P.S began the journey to become a more sustainable school. We were accepted to undertake the Core Module of the Resource AuSSi Vic Schools program.
Our aims for the core module are;
- Educate students, staff and the wider community on the importance of becoming more sustainable.
- Save money through lowering our energy, water and waste usage.
- Improve our environment, both locally and globally
Our Achievements so far;
- Forming a ‘Green Team’ – A student environmental group, who make whole school decisions to improve our school environment. The Green Team initiated our Rubbish Free Lunch Challenge. We now do this on random days of the week and only count the number of students who are totally rubbish free. The Green Team also audits each classroom during a random lunch time looking to see who has turned off their Interactive Whiteboards, air conditioner and lights. All this information is shared with the school community during our Friday assemblies.
- Forming an adult ‘Sustainability Action Team’. Members include teachers and the Wellington Shire Sustainability Officer. We are hopeful that parents and other community members will join.
- Completing our School Environment Management Plan and our Environmental Policy
- Whole school composting of food scraps
- Worm farming of food scraps and using the castings and worm wine on our vegetable garden. Our worm wine is also sold to our school community to purchase more seedlings.
- Constructing our vegetable and herb gardens. Vegetables and herbs are used during our ‘Junior Masterchefs’ cooking days and by selling them to our school community to purchase more seedlings.
- Loading pictures, documents, links and discussion board topics about sustainability to our school portal.
- Students purchasing and using reusable tuckshop bags for their lunch orders.
- Recording the amount of photocopying paper being used
Our school community is proud of our achievements to date, however we realise that we still have a long way to go. Some of our future goals are below;
- Further minimise our landfill waste.
- Reduce our energy consumption.
- Develop the biodiversity of the school by creating an indigenous/diverse garden area.
- Undertake the Waste, Biodiversity, Water and Energy ResourceSmart Modules