Organisation: City of Port Phillip
Program: Council services to schools
This program supports sustainability practices in schools and early childhood services to help achieve Council’s environmental and sustainability goals.
Connects to the following modules of ResourceSmart Schools: Core, Waste, Biodiversity, Energy, Water
Accessible to schools in the following Melbourne metropolitan regions: Southern
Appropriate for students in:
Primary – Prep to Grade 2
Primary – Grade 3 to Grade 6
Secondary – Year 7 to Year 10
What is offered to schools:
Schools – General Sustainability
City of Port Phillip proudly sponsors the Port Phillip EcoCentre’s work with local primary and secondary schools. In particular, Council supports the EcoCentre to run:
- The Port Phillip and Bayside Teachers’ Environment Network (TENs), with quarterly meetings and Professional Development
- The ‘Tomorrow’s Leaders for Sustainability’ program
- ‘Sessions with Elders’, in partnership with Boon Wurrung Foundation
- The Annual EcoCentre Sustainable Schools Awards
See the EcoCentre brochure for more details on school programs.
Schools – Active Travel
In addition, City of Port Phillip is a strong advocate for active travel. Each year, Council provides direct support and funding for schools to run their own initiatives, such as planning for safer routes to school, increasing bike and scooter parking, and hosting Ride2School and Walk to School campaigns. Council Officers are also available for expert advice to develop School Travel Plans. To find out more, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schools – Support for Waste Management at events
Managing waste at School Fetes and community events is challenging. Council sustainability staff are available to provide your school with advice and support to work towards a ‘Zero Waste’ event.
Early Years Services – ‘Seedlings’ Program
Council is an active partner in delivering the ‘Seedlings’ Education for Sustainability Framework for Early Childhood Services. As part of the ‘Seedlings’ program, City of Port Phillip supports Early Childhood Services through:
- Education for Sustainability professional development specifically for Early Years educators
- Monthly newsletter
- Monthly ‘Open House’ tours of local Centres participating in ‘Seedlings’
- Baseline audits of water, energy and waste
- Tailored, personalised support to help services achieve their sustainability goals
For more details email email@example.com
Local Sustainability News
Councils ENVIROehub website provides local sustainability news about upcoming events, community case studies and information about what Council is doing. Sign up to receive the monthly Sustainability E Newsletter to keep up to date.
For soft plastics recycling, City of Port Phillip directs schools and the general community to Red Group collections at Coles and Woolworths stores.