Organisation: Zoos Vic, Healesville Sanctuary
Program: Love your Locals Challenge
This program helps schools to fight extinction by raising awareness of local endangered animals.
Connects to the following modules of ResourceSmart Schools: Biodiversity
Accessible to schools in the following Melbourne metropolitan regions: Eastern, Northern and Southern
Appropriate for students in:
Primary – Prep to Grade 2
Primary – Grade 3 to Grade 6
Secondary – Year 7 to Year 10
Secondary – Year 11 to Year 12
What is offered to schools:
The Love Your Locals Challenge is a competition for both primary and secondary schools (runs term 2&3).
One class, year level or a whole school can participate in the Challenge.
What schools can do:
- Choose one of the 20 locally endangered species, eg. Corroboree Frog or Helmeted Honeyeater
- Students research the species and its threatening processes
- Participate in a web conference with zoo experts and schools who were involved in the past (15 May)
- Visit Healesville Sanctuary to learn more about the chosen species (cost involved; see website for suggested excursions)
- Students plan and implement a community awareness campaign (eg. radio, events, fund raising, books, newspaper, videos, actions at their school…)
- Submit details of your project and you could win a behind-the-scenes day at Healesville Sanctuary