Organisation: Zoos Victoria
Program: Act Wild
This program is a website and an iPhone mobile app that provides opportunities to take simple real world actions that benefit wildlife.
Connects to the following modules of ResourceSmart Schools: Biodiversity
Accessible to schools in the following Melbourne metropolitan regions: Eastern, Northern and Southern
Appropriate for students in:
Primary – Prep to Grade 2
Primary – Grade 3 to Grade 6
Secondary – Year 7 to Year 10
Secondary – Year 11 to Year 12
What is offered to schools:
Act Wild is about getting young people in our community active in conservation.
- Features a collection of resources which will help in creating a rich and memorable class or unit of work.
- Provides opportunities for students to chat to wildlife experts in the field via web conference.
- Has videos relating to the different animals and conservation issues,
- Get Creative and have students create their own campaign video using our simple online mash-ups tools.
- Get Grubby allows you to access guides on building a nestbox, wildlife-friendly garden etc.
- Wild Activist page – click here to see what other students around Australia are doing.
The Animals pages provide a whole lot of information regarding eight key animal species. Students can easily access facts, photos, videos, location maps, threats and actions for each animal.
These pages can be used for research and as a springboard to discuss environmental issues, as each species has a clear link to conservation.
Each animal can be linked to a different ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic module eg. if doing the Water Module, you can take action to protect the platypus and our local waterways – http://www.actwild.org.au/animals/platypus/
The Events calendar is where we list local events that you and your students can get involved in, both within and outside of school hours. This is the go-to place for extending the learning outside of the classroom and finding out what is happening right here in Victoria.
Zoo Feeds is a mini-blog, updated by our very own zoo people – educators, zookeepers, conservationists – who work at one of our three properties (Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo or Werribee Open Range Zoo). We’ll also feature posts by guest bloggers and from organisations such as Greening Australia.
Explore some of the curriculum links between Act Wild and Victoria’s Essential Learning Standards as well as how Act Wild can help support the Biodiversity module of the Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative (ResourceSmart AuSSIVic).