Organisation: SCR Group
Program: Recycle with Mondo for a Better World – School Fundraising through Clothing Reuse and Recycling.
This program helps schools to raise funds through recycling unwanted clothing.
Click on the following links to see how this program connects to the following modules of ResourceSmart Schools:
Accessible to schools in the following Melbourne metropolitan regions: Eastern, Northern and Southern
Appropriate for students in:
Primary – Prep to Grade 2
Primary – Grade 3 to Grade 6
Secondary – Year 7 to Year 10
How it works:
- Book your collection dates for each term, or have Recycling Hubs placed at your school.
- Receive your FREE Recycle with Mondo Education Kit including promotional flyers and posters.
- Distribute your promotional flyers to your school community.
- Our staff will visit your school on your collection dates or your hub/s will be serviced as needed.
- Your school receives $0.10 cents per kilogram for the items collected.
- We will provide your school with sustainability report for waste, water, energy and greenhouse gas savings. At the end of every term, you’ll be emailed a Mondo Ladder, which shows how your school is tracking alongside other schools in the state.
What can be collected?
All clean, wearable clothing, shoes, hats, handbags, belts, accessories, toys, towels, sheets, pillowcases and doona covers.
What can’t be collected?
Wet, dirty, torn items, doonas, pillows, books, DVDs, CDs and household items.
What happens to the clothes?
Clothing is collected and sorted for reuse and recycling. They are distributed in Australia and globally to maximise their reuse and recycling potential, providing employment, affordable clothing and improving livelihoods in developing countries.
Why reuse and recycle?
- Divert from landfill.
- Natural fibres like wool and cotton will decompose and create methane, a greenhouse gas which causes climate change.
- Saves resources such as cotton and wool as well as oil which is used to make synthetic clothing such as nylon and polyester.