Over 1,000 Victorian primary and secondary schools are involved in this award-winning initiative!
ResourceSmart Schools is an award-winning Victorian Government program that assists schools to embed sustainability in everything they do. Schools minimise waste, save energy and water, promote biodiversity and take action on climate change to benefit their school and community.
Managed by Sustainability Victoria, ResourceSmart Schools provides practical support to reduce resource use and make cost savings, integrate sustainability into the curriculum and share learnings beyond the school gate.
Key features of ResourceSmart Schools:
- Support – Sustainability experts support the school on their sustainability journey and schools track and measure their progress using the online system
- Recognition – Sustainability Certification and the ResourceSmart Schools Awards recognise and reward school activity
- Savings – Save on energy, water and waste bills – and greenhouse gas emissions
- Adaptable – Schools create a unique environmental management system and can work with any sustainability program or organisation within the ResourceSmart Schools framework
- Learning – Students learn take-home lessons about sustainable actions as required by the Australian Curriculum
- Sustainable schools – Schools learn to operate more sustainably, reducing costs and minimising their impact on the environment through efficient resource use
- Community – Practical support for schools and communities to live and work more sustainably and to support other schools and environmental partners along the way.
Visit www.resourcesmartschools.vic.gov.au to find out more about this fantastic initiative!
CERES coordinates and delivers the ResourceSmart School in the Northern, Southern and Eastern Melbourne metropolitan regions.
A CERES ResourceSmart Schools facilitator will work closely with the school’s sustainability team (consisting of staff, parents and/or students) through their chosen CERES module or Star.
CERES runs a free Progress workshop for each region per term for schools participating in the program. These workshops allow teachers to spend a full day to work on ResourceSmart Schools with facilitator support on-hand. It is also a great opportunity to learn about leadership for whole school change, and share ideas with other teachers.
CERES also delivers the program to the new Victorian schools built as part of the State Government’s News Schools PPP Project.
If your school is located in one of our regions and interested in receiving funded support to work through the program, please complete our expression of interest form.
Northern Metro Region Coordinator: Jane Burns | email@example.com
Southern Metro Region Coordinator: Emmanuelle Delomenede | firstname.lastname@example.org
Eastern Metro Region Coordinator: Nick Rickard | email@example.com
CERES also delivers ResourceSmart to Early Childhood Centres. Click here to find out more.
Sustainability Victoria commissioned Monash University to undertake research into the impacts and effectiveness of the ResourceSmart Schools program in Victoria.The findings are based on survey responses from 160 ResourceSmart schools, and an analysis of evidence and existing research, during 2014. Click to read more.