Over 1,300 Victorian primary and secondary schools are involved in this award-winning initiative!
ResourceSmart Schools is an award-winning Victorian Government program that assists schools to embed sustainability in everything they do. Schools minimise waste, save energy and water, promote biodiversity and take action on climate change to benefit their school and community.
Managed by Sustainability Victoria, ResourceSmart Schools provides practical support to reduce resource use and make cost savings, integrate sustainability into the curriculum and share learnings beyond the school gate.
Key features of ResourceSmart Schools:
- Facilitation and support – Sustainability experts support schools on their journey to embed sustainability into operations and provide support on how to measure and track their school’s progress. The service is free and open to every Victorian school.
- Recognition – Schools can receive Sustainability Certification and can enter the ResourceSmart Schools Awards to be recognised and rewarded for school activities and achievements.
- Savings – Schools learn to operate more sustainably; reducing costs to save on electricity, water and waste bills – and greenhouse gas emissions to minimise their impact on the environment.
- Flexibility – Schools work through the ResourceSmart Schools program and create a unique environmental management system tailored to their needs.
- Curriculum – Schools are assisted to embed sustainability into all learning areas and levels of the Victorian curriculum.
Visit www.resourcesmartschools.vic.gov.au to find out more about this fantastic initiative!
CERES coordinates and delivers the ResourceSmart School in the Northern, Southern and Eastern Melbourne metropolitan regions.
A CERES ResourceSmart Schools facilitator will work closely with the school’s sustainability team (consisting of staff, parents and/or students) through their chosen CERES module or Star.
CERES runs a free Progress workshop for each region per term for schools participating in the program. These workshops allow teachers to spend a full day to work on ResourceSmart Schools with facilitator support on-hand. It is also a great opportunity to learn about leadership for whole school change, and share ideas with other teachers.
CERES also delivers the program to the new Victorian schools built as part of the State Government’s News Schools PPP Project.
If your school is located in one of our regions and interested in receiving funded support to work through the program, please complete our expression of interest form.
Northern Metro Region Coordinator: Kelsey Smith | email@example.com
Southern Metro Region Coordinator: Jane Burns | firstname.lastname@example.org
Eastern Metro Region Coordinator: Kate Checkley | email@example.com
CERES also delivers ResourceSmart to Early Childhood Centres. Click here to find out more.
Sustainability Victoria commissioned Monash University to undertake research into the impacts and effectiveness of the ResourceSmart Schools program in Victoria.The findings are based on survey responses from 160 ResourceSmart schools, and an analysis of evidence and existing research, during 2014. Click to read more.